|"And lo, the Angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them,|
and they were sore afraid" (Luke Ch.2 V.9)
Wednesday, 11 December 2013
This afternoon children from Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 performed the annual Nativity, to a packed School Hall.
The children acted-out the Nativity story, and accompanied this with Christmas songs.
Thank you to the children for entertaining us so wonderfully, to the staff whose hard work over recent weeks made it all possible, and to Mrs Walsh for the piano accompaniment.
Best wishes for Christmas. Peace and goodwill to all!
Thursday, 5 December 2013
A warm welcome to our new parish priest, Father Philip Pak, whose Induction Mass was held at St.Mary Magdalen's Church on 23 November.
Parishioners turned up on a crisp autumn evening, and there was standing room only in the Church. Mr. West and Mrs Saunders and family, staff and Governors of St. Mary Magdalen's School attended, and Church leaders were well-represented too. Children from the School acted as alter servers.
The Rite of Induction provided an opportunity to pray collectively for Fr. Philip, and Bishop Patrick asked that he “focus his work for justice and peace in the light of the Gospel."
After the Mass, the School Hall was opened for a feast prepared by the parishioners to celebrate Father Philip being entrusted with the keys of the Church.
A maths workshop, planned and organised by Mrs Campbell Hill (Mathematics Leader) and supported by Mr. Rowbothem, was held in the School Hall on Weds 26 November. Parents and carers joined their children to hear how mathematics is taught at the School.
Guides on how to help with homework, and games and ideas to help parents and carers to familiarise their child with numbers, were given out, along with the School's calculation policy.
Parents and carers were given the opportunity to test their calculation skills, having been shown two methods of calculating a two digit number multiplied by a three digit number. Some interesting totals were reached!
There will be follow-up workshops in the future as it proved to be popular. Thanks to all those who attended.
Wednesday, 4 December 2013
Thursday, 21 November 2013
|Sarah and the children|
|Children doing the exercises|
On Wednesday 20 November we were lucky enough to be visited by Sarah Claxton, the British Olympic hurdler. Sarah helped the children to complete four different exercises for a minute each! The exercises were spotty dogs, leg drives, press-ups and star jumps. All of the children took part and made a fantastic atmosphere cheering each other on and helping one another to complete the exercises.
The event also raised money which will be split between Sports4all and the School: the first £300 goes straight to the School to invest in sports equipment and sporting opportunities. All money raised above £300 is split between the School and Sports4all with the school getting 60% of the money and the other 40% being used by Sports4all to fund British athletes in their training for the Commonwealth Games!
Mr. Ed Pinks, Class Teacher (Yr.1)